The board screens the investment avenues based on a strict set of constraints. In brief, any portfolio cannot hold shares of a company that:
- Provides non-Islamic financial services and any other related interest services.
- Manufactures/sells products or services not approved by the Ethical Board (i.e. liquor, tobacco, gambling, pornography, weaponry, etc).
- Has interest revenue exceeding a certain percentage of total revenue (usually 5%) - unless it is given to charity.
- Does not have a certain percentage of non-liquid assets
- Does not comply with certain debt ratios